x

How To Use A Wireless Kitchen Printer

We have multiple servers walking about our property with Square Terminals.  When they take a drink order, we'd like the order to print out at the bar.  We have a property wide wi-fi network.  The property is 2.4 acres, so bluetooth is not an option.

The Star TSP143IIIW seems to be the solution, but I'm not sure.  Reading the set-up in the manual, it seems like you need an IT person to do all of that, but I can probably get through it.  I just don't want to go through all of this and find something like "Oh, the printer only supports one terminal at a time" or something stupid.  I know it needs a 2.4g network, which is a current issue as our wi-fi is being redone to allow consistent connections to the 2.4g.

What else do I need to know here?

Message 1 of 7
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

@beer ;

I use the Star Micronics Receipt printer that Square use to sell.  It was USB, Network and Bluetooth compatible.  I used it vis USB at first, then connected it to my ethernet cable, and was still able to connect it via Bluetooth.  Since I have a Good WiFi network I am able to print to it from my Cell phone anywhere in the store over the WiFi network currently.

Like you I like options incase something fails and there is a redundant connection I can use.  

Here is more information on Star Printers :  https://starmicronics.com/product/mc-print3-pos-receipt-printer-retail-kitchen-online 

The only issue I had was the router would assign different IP addresses for the printer, then Square could not find it.  So if you plan on connecting it by Bluetooth or Wifi and also by Network cable you may want to have Static addresses for the receipt printer for the different connections.  Once I did that my printer has been rock steady.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.

View Best Answer >

Message 7 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Super Seller

Hey @beer - first up I’ll just confirm that as long as the printer is on the network any of your devices will be able to print to it, so there’ll be no lock in there.

If you can run an Ethernet cable to where you want the printer this is going to be the most solid option. I’ve never had an issue with a cabled printer ever than wasn’t fixed by either turning it off and on again or just removing the printer from the device and setting again. 

I’ve used star and Epson printers, and found that the Epson WiFi versions for me were a lot more solid than the star WiFi ones. The Ethernet ones are all solid and are really cheap on eBay! 

Pizza Is Chill

Message 2 of 7

Any suggestion on Epson models?

For example, would this work?  https://epson.com/For-Work/Printers/POS/OmniLink-TM-m30III-POS-Thermal-Receipt-Printer/p/C31CK50021  I saw in a video that it wasn't integrated to Square upon the release of the video 9 months ago, but it could be now.

Message 3 of 7
Super Seller

Oh, I should have said too it’s worth considering the KDS too. If you need a paper ticket to follow the drink to the table so nothing gets lost it might not be for you -  if not it’s a fantastic way of never loosing a ticket as you can look back on all the complete orders. 

Pizza Is Chill

Message 4 of 7
Super Seller

I second what @Sam_400º said. Ethernet linked printers are by far the most solid option, and as long as they're on the same network as your wifi router all your terminals will see that printer. I've only had one problem in 12 years of electronic orders with that setup.

If you stick with a wifi printer, do be sure that your network has a strong signal everywhere your servers could be. Invest in repeaters or a mesh wifi network (I highly recommend anything from UniFi: their hardware is rock solid and has a lot of management capabilities). Quite a few times I've seen connection issues cause so many problems and it was because of a weak wifi signal.

Setup of every style of printer is relatively straightforward. Usually wifi devices have you log into an onboard network via your phone and configure what your usual network settings are. After that, it's ready to be configured on Square. Ethernet printers just get plugged in and are usually ready to go after that.

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!
Message 5 of 7

I hear what you're saying about ethernet being best.  Our Square Ipads and cash drawers are on ethernet and that's great.  This "kitchen"' printer may not always be at the bar where the ethernet is, so we want the flexibility of using our upgraded wi-fi so the bartender making the server drinks could be somewhere else.

Message 6 of 7
Super Seller

Best Answer

@beer ;

I use the Star Micronics Receipt printer that Square use to sell.  It was USB, Network and Bluetooth compatible.  I used it vis USB at first, then connected it to my ethernet cable, and was still able to connect it via Bluetooth.  Since I have a Good WiFi network I am able to print to it from my Cell phone anywhere in the store over the WiFi network currently.

Like you I like options incase something fails and there is a redundant connection I can use.  

Here is more information on Star Printers :  https://starmicronics.com/product/mc-print3-pos-receipt-printer-retail-kitchen-online 

The only issue I had was the router would assign different IP addresses for the printer, then Square could not find it.  So if you plan on connecting it by Bluetooth or Wifi and also by Network cable you may want to have Static addresses for the receipt printer for the different connections.  Once I did that my printer has been rock steady.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 7 of 7