x

Android Contactless/chip reader disconnecting after a short timeout.

My business is at farmers markets.  I run 5 devices.    I currently run  4 Android phones  each with their own Chip Reader at different locations.   1 iPhone with its own chip reader   -    ALL of the android connections drop the readers after 5 minutes.   ALL of them!  3 phones are  new  -   Last year a bought 2 new phones and a new reader but had the same issue.    Last week 1 new samsung - and still has the issue.       Close the app and restart it - it connects right away but this is not the solution since this still takes a minute.    

The Iphone NEVER drops the reader - it is the only device that can screen can sleep for a few minutes and open to a connected reader.       

My business is too busy to keep closing the app and restarting to reconnect the reader to do a transaction if there is a beat between checking out a customer.   

Yes, I have reset the readers.. reboot the phones, continue to recharge, Updated the app... NOTHING.   Changing the screentime out helped.. but .. Drains the battery.    It is specifically when the screen sleeps for a few minutes. 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Beta Member

Hi SA15,

Although the volunteer Community Members are not the same as Tech or Customer Support, there is a lot of hands on experience with Square's Apps and Hardware.  For whatever reason, Android devices can be sometimes a bit fickle (that's my tech knowledge).  Best guesses are, make sure your devices have the latest operating system versions, ensure that you only have Square's App open, ensure the reader is charged and change the inactivity setting on your smart device to "never" or at least to the longest time available.   Also to add to the mix, the Square Reader will automatically enter a low power state if it hasn’t taken a payment for awhile - just something to consider.  As for your concern about device battery drain, we keep a power bank handy to always ensure that we never miss an opportunity.  There are quite a few of power banks to choose from - this was our pick (just a personal example).

Message 2 of 2